A Nail Art/Nail polish blog by a really nerdy software Engineer

Monday 17 December 2018

OPI The Nutcracker & the Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018 // Days 1 -7

OPI The Nutcracker & the Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018 // Days 1 -7

(psst..before we get started, I'd just like to point out that I started writing this on the 8th December so some parts may seem a little out of sequence as I went back and edited it, sorry it took so long to be uploaded...)

I'm starting to feel like my fingers are all swatched out! 21 swatches in 1 week, only another 63 to go...Why did I think three nail advent calendars was a good idea????

Anyway, this was the first one I bought and dear god is it annoying me. First, OPI minis don't have the name on the bottle so I've had to stick stickers on them. That was after the fight to get them out of the box; I resorted to using a pair of scissors to pry them out as they were not coming out. Who tested this product??

Then the doors are all in numerical order so no rooting around to find the day and the shades are in order by colour. This week is the silver to berry/reds. When I opened today's (8th) it was a purple so it looks like next week is going to be all purple to maybe blue shades. I think this kind of takes the fun out of it a little as you know what's coming.

But anyway, onto the shades!

Day 1 - Alpine Snow // White Creme


OPI Alpine Snow Swatch // The Nutcracker & the Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018 // Days 1 -7

We start off with a basic white creme to help with all the snow looks needed this month. This is quite a streaky white that appears to separate quite easily. You need at least three coats or more. It is a nice white shade that isn't cream but it's not stark white either. That said when the full size is £12.95 I would rather shell out on a much cheaper white shade. This is identical to Essie Blanc (which is my go to white base) and you can pick that one up for far less (and Blanc only needs 2 coats max). 

I stopped at three coats but it really needs four which is ridiculous for a white base coat. I can understand if your going for that translucent look that you get with gel nails (I actually really love that look) but this just looks like separated skimmed milk. It's not the best.

Day 2 - Dancing Keeps Me On My Toes // Silver Shimmer with slight holo

OPI Dancing Keeps Me On My Toes Swatch // The Nutcracker & the Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018 // Days 1 -7

*Nutcracker Collection Shade

I thought I would like this one but it's a little too streaky and a little too sheer. It does have a nice holo shine but the light has to hit it just right. I left Alpine Snow on my middle finger so you can see what it looks like on top of another polish and it just makes my nails look lumpy. Not my favourite silver shimmer.

Day 3 - It's A Girl // Sheer Pink Creme

OPI It's A Girl Swatch // The Nutcracker & the Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018 // Days 1 -7

This is practically identical to Sweet Memories (seen here). I'm wearing three coats and you can still see my nail tips peeking through. That doesn't bother because I love that sheer ultra shiny gel look and this almost got there if it weren't for the milky white streaks. They're not as noticeable in the photo due to the light reflections but trust me they're there. Sweet Memories is a little more opaque but doesn't have that milkyness to it so I'd say go with that one.

Day 4 - Princesses Rule // Sheer Pink Shimmer with slight holo

OPI Princesses Rule Swatch // The Nutcracker & the Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018 // Days 1 -7

Now this is the kind of sheer I like. 1 coat gives a lovely pink blush to the nail and then it's chock full of glitter and holo pieces. They're extremely fine but in the right light it's very soft and pretty. I definitely prefer this polish on it's own as it looks a bit childish on top of other shades...or well it does to me anyway. I'm wearing 2 coats in the swatch but the second one didn't really do anything.

Day 5 - Charged Up Cherry // Dark Pink Creme

OPI Charged Up Cherry Swatch // The Nutcracker & the Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018 // Days 1 -7

I don't know how this is a Cherry shade? It's more hot pink and Cherries round here are dark red. That said I do like it. Normally I don't like super bright pinks but because this is on the darker side I think it's quite different. It's more of a summery shade though and will go well with tropical flamingo looks. I'm wearing 3 coats as you could see some streaks with just 2.

Day 6 - Toying With Trouble // Dark Pink/Purple Creme

OPI Toying With Trouble Swatch // The Nutcracker & the Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018 // Days 1 -7

*Nutcracker Collection Shade

I'm not sure why they put almost three identical shades in a row as I'm running out ways to describe pink. I had to put two coats on to cover some streaks but it cleaned up easily without staining the nail fold. 

Day 7 - Aurora Berry-alis // Muted Berry Creme

OPI Aurora Berry-Alis Swatch // The Nutcracker & the Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018 // Days 1 -7

And rounding out the last pink shade is Aurora Berry-alis; the muted version of Toying With Trouble. I like these shades just fine but I don't have anything more to say about them; what else can you say about pink polish three times in a row? I used two coats again with this one and I think out of the the last three this is the one I would wear the most.

Verdict

Well, week one has finally been posted and I'm a little underwhelmed. I've already swatched 14 days of the Ciaté 2018 calendar and the quality of those polishes have blown OPI clear out of the water. It's becoming hard for me to be excited about this calendar mainly because it contains a lot of creme's and weak shimmers. Also, 5 pink shades in a row! I love pink but I'm ready to try something a little different.

Days 8-14
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig