A Nail Art/Nail polish blog by a really nerdy software Engineer

Tuesday 1 January 2019

OPI The Nutcracker & the Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018 // Days 8-14


First off, what is up with the OPI shade names?? So many are practically sentences and super annoying as the mini ones have no label so I have to make stickers for them all...I feel like I'm going through Fallout Boy or Panic! At The Disco track names here.

Secondly, Happy New Years everyone! I have a feeling that 2019 is going to be a good one, especially since me and even numbered years just don't get along (the odd ones have always been better). Either way I hope you had a lovely holiday. This was my 2nd time since I was 13 that I've not had to work it and it really makes a difference being with friends and family. But onto the shades!

Day 8 - Reykjavik Has All The Hot Spots  // Pale Berry Shimmer

OPI Reykjavik Has all The Hot Spots Swatch // The Nutcracker & The Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018

Finally a shade I really like! This applies well and has a subtle holo shimmer in the background. It is a little streaky as it appears to have a metallic finish but it's not bad for a muted polish. That said this is now the fourth pink/purple shade in a row....

Day 9 - A-rose at Noon, Broke by Dawn // Bright Pink Shimmer

OPI A-Rose At Noon, Broke By Dawn Swatch // The Nutcracker & The Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018

And now it's five in a row! I'm wearing one coat in the photo but I'm not feeling this shade; it's too bright pink. It also has that streaky finish that a lot of OPI metallic shades have. 

Day 10 - Berry Fairy Fun // Purple Shimmer

OPI Berry Fairy Fun Swatch // The Nutcracker & The Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018

Nutcracker Collection Shade
Another purple shade. I swatched all the shades onto a swatch wheel and almost half are in the pink/purple spectrum. I've noticed quite a few of the shades so far seem to have the same blue and purple shimmer bits in them as well, the last shade was the same. I'm wearing two coats as one is hella streaky but the overall effect is just a bit to 'eight-year-old' for my liking.

Day 11 - Dazzling Dew Drop // Gold Shimmer

OPI Dazzling Dew Drop Swatch // The Nutcracker & The Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018

Nutcracker Collection Shade
This looks much better than I thought it would. I imagined it to be a tacky yellow gold but it's actually a nice metallic foil-esque shade. I'm wearing two coats and that's really all you need for some shimmery goodness. This is perfect for special occasions and I can imagine it going nice with some white nails and gold stripes...gonna have to work on my striping tape skills though as this doesn't stamp well.

Day 12 - Samoan Sand // Light Peachy Nude Creme

OPI Samoan Sand Swatch // The Nutcracker & The Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018

I stopped at three coats of this watery creme but if you look close enough, it probably needs another one. I do like this shade though as it blends really well with my skin tone. For some this could be the perfect 'nude' polish. I imagine this would look nice matte with some 80's style Miami Vice designs stamped on top.

Day 13 - Berlin There Done That // Muted Lilac Creme

OPI Berlin There Done That Swatch // The Nutcracker & The Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018

OPI Berlin There Done That Swatch Comparison with Infinite Shine and Original Formula

Well this was surprising. Last month I received the Infinite Shine version of this shade in Mani & Lola and as you can see they are completely two different shades...I'm not sure why you would give them the same name when the Infinite Shine version is clearly 2 shades darker. I'd also say the original formula is more of muted lilac and the Infinite a soft cocoa. Very strange. Regardless, another winning shade for me as this is more like what I use and I got away with just one coat. Also, the top photo makes the shade look lighter than it is; it's just a very bright light.

Day 14 - Lavendare to Find Courage // Bubblegum Pink Creme

OPI Lavendare to Find Courage Swatch // The Nutcracker & The Four Realms Advent Calendar 2018

Nutcracker Collection Shade
This was one the shades that made me want to purchase their new Nutcracker range, however once I got it on myself, I'm not that keen on it. It's a lovely shade but not for my skin tone. It also reminds me of the colour used in the Mean Girls font. I ended up using two coats as it's a little streaky but nothing too bad. I'd say this is definitely more pink than lavender though. So now we've had nine pink/purple shades in 14 days. That's a bit excessive.

// Verdict

Looking at the colour swatch wheel so far, you'd think this is an advent calendar focusing on pink shades; there's barely any variety. So, I'm glad to announce that there are NO pinks next week. But it is hella moody with lots of dark cremes. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig