A Nail Art/Nail polish blog by a really nerdy software Engineer

Monday 15 April 2019

You're a Gem // Birchbox April 2019 Nails

You're a Gem // Birchbox April 2019 Nails

You're a Gem // Birchbox April 2019 Nails

You're a Gem // Birchbox April 2019 Nails

This months Birchbox was a stunning design, but these nails just don't do it justice. I'm definitely going to have to revisit this design once I become a better nail artist because they're ok but they don't really look like the box. I used nail polish mixed with acetone and I really couldn't get that watercolour look this time. I'm going to invest in some acrylic paint though and hopefully I'll be able to get that look without ruining the base coat (and it'll be less harsh on my nails...)

The contents of the box were nowhere near as interesting as the design though this month and I felt they were a little lacklustre. I don't mind receiving body lotion and conditioner but not in such tiny samples. One month we got a 20ml conditioner and I used it in one go (my hair is down to my butt though lol).

Anyway, here are the nails!

You're a Gem // Birchbox April 2019 Nails

You're a Gem // Birchbox April 2019 Nails

I'm not completely unhappy but I'm not super stoked either. I just feel like they could be so much better. To be honest I should've had some new polishes by now but Born Pretty took 2 weeks to dispatch for some reason. These polishes are designed specifially to create that dreamy watercolour/marble look and I got the pink and blue especially to do some basic bitch rose quartz and serenity nails (I will never get over that pairing, it was the best).

How I did it:-
I started off with 2 coats of Blanc and then 2 layers of top coat and let them dry for a good 20 minutes. I then placed small drops of the other colours into a palette and every time I went to use them I dipped my brush in acetone, then dipped it in the polish, then dipped it back in acetone again. I'm not the best at this yet and I really couldn't get that perfect bleed as it would start to remove the other colour. I then applied a layer of top coat and then brushed on some gold streaks before ending it with a matte top coat.

Polishes/Tools Used:- (forgot to take a photo sorry!)
Essie // Blanc (white)
NYC Expert Last // Fresh Blue (primary blue)
OPI // Strawberry Margarita (hot pink)
- NYC In A New York Minute // Lincoln Square Lavender (dark dusty pink)
Ciaté // Fly Away (lavender)
- Barry M Gelly Hi-Shine// Blueberry (pastel blue)
OPI // Lavendare to find Courage (pastel pink)
- Born Pretty Polish // #1 (gold)
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. This is my first time here. I find a lot of interesting things in your blog especially that I'm not the only one
    dip nails

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig