A Nail Art/Nail polish blog by a really nerdy software Engineer

Sunday 21 July 2019

Beauty Box Review // Birchbox July 2019

Beauty Box Review // Birchbox July 2019

Beauty Box Review // Birchbox July 2019

Beauty Box Review // Birchbox July 2019

Deary deary me. What a sad sorry box we have this month. If I was less than impressed last month, July's box did nothing to help alleviate those sentiments. It's a shame as there were some good products that you could've received but I feel as though I got the duds. I would've loved the glamglow cream, the percy and reed fragrance and lumene skin tint but no. I got an 11ml sample of body lotion and a pillow spray that smells like paxo stuffing.

The box as always is cute though and I got some good nails out of it, but I'm seriously having to evaluate if I should be spending £12.95 a month to get nail art inspiration.

Full Size - RRP £12.50

Beauty Box Review // Birchbox July 2019

I actually forgot to choose what shade I wanted but I wasn't bothered either way as they were extremely similar with being a champagne nude and the other a soft coral. I ended up with Tokyo which is a pink champagne shade. It's shimmer to the extreme and I've also been using it as a highlighter. It is genuinely a lovely shade with great pigmentation. I tend to just apply it with my fingers and then use some orange shades from the ABH Soft Glam palette with it. I'm very surprised as this is my favourite item in the box, but that's not saying much as the other items aren't exactly great. This is also another item that is exclusive to Birchbox...most of their fullsize items for the past few months now have been exclusives from brands I've never heard of. 

4.5ml  Sample Size - RRP £7.67 (based on £14.50 for 8.5ml)

I had high hopes for this as I'm completely in love with the Marcelle BB cream (it's my holy grail BB cream) but it falls short. I do like that it has a small curved wand making it easier to get into the corners but the formula itself does almost nothing. I can see some slight lengthening but for the most part two coats doesn't really do much. It's no Ciaté Wonderwand or Too Faced Better Than Sex. There isn't any clumping though so it's got that going for it.

5ml Travel Size - RRP £6

I think I've recived this about 10 times now and I'm sick of it. I've had it in Glossybox, Look Fantastic, Pink Parcel, Powder Box, Latest In Beauty...every beauty box subscription I've had, this has been in it at some point. I'm dreading the moment we get a full size version in FabFitFun...I know it will happen. Anyway, I hate this stuff. It's not relaxing; it smells like cooked chicken. It just makes me hungry and then I get annoyed because it's bedtime and I can't eat anything. I'm just sick of seeing it in boxes and I want them to give it a rest.

11ml Sample - RRP £0.15 (based on £5.49 for 400ml)


I actually can't believe this is in here. This should have been an extra item not an item in the box. It even says on the back of the sample "compliments of palmer's" meaning that it's a free sample. If this had been a 50 or 100ml sample I wouldn't have been as angry but 11ml? This didn't even cover my entire body. I have nothing against Palmer's because I love their products; they're great quality for a fantastic price and this moisturiser is no exception but I'm extremely disappointed in Birchbox for sending this as an item. On their insta they're defending it by saying they "love sending out trial sizes for discovery" but literally everyone in the UK knows what Palmer's is. If you've ever been in a Superdrug or Boots, you know Palmer's. Their cocoa butter moisturiser is one of the best smelling moisturisers in the world. This sample size was pretty pathetic though; especially given that the full size of 400ml is only £5.49.

50ml Travel Size - RRP £7.00

Eh, this is ok. I generally like Percy & Reed hair care products and this smells nice. It's also nice to have an actually decent sized sample as well. I used this on my graduation to try and keep my hair in check as it was a particularly humid day and it went well. I didn't notice my hair getting any bigger and it kept it smelling nice. The only problem is that your supposed to brush this through dry hair and well I have semi-afro hair; once it's dry you don't brush it or it turns into a complete birds nest so I'll never really be able to tell if it works properly or not. 

// Box Contents
// 1 Full Size, 2 Travel Sizes, 2 Samples
// £33.32 Estimated Box Worth

This box was not the best and it hasn't helped in my wavering decision to cancel this subscription. I think I'm going to leave it one more month but if it doesn't improve it's going to go; even if I love the boxes because it's £12.95 that I could be spending on nail polish. I get that it's supposed to be a sample box but if the Feel Unique Pick 'n' Mix can offer better stuff for £3.95 and Look Fantastic can offer infinitely better items than I don't know why this one can't do better. The samples have just been too tiny and I'm sick of all the 'exclusive' brands.

P&P £2.95
Monthly - £10
6 Months - £60
12 Months - £110

pssst...the sneak peak for next month is the balanceme Hyaluronic Plumping Mist Spray that will be in every box. I got a 10ml sample from LIB once and the photo is showing an even smaller sample; why am I not surprised?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig