A Nail Art/Nail polish blog by a really nerdy software Engineer

Saturday 18 May 2019

Mani & Lola May 2019 Review // Nail Subscription Box

Mani & Lola May 2019 Review // Nail Subscription Box

Mani & Lola May 2019 Review // Nail Subscription Box

Mani & Lola May 2019 Review // Nail Subscription Box

Well this month was well and truly a surprise for me as M&L only gave out one spoiler leading up to this months release which was the Nails Inc shade. So, when I opened it I went through a range of emotions. This month there is only 2 polishes which is kind of disappointing for a nail subscription box however, then I used the hand cream and now I don't care about any other complaints I had. For me, this box is an amazing hand cream that came with 4 freebies.

Rescue RXX Treatment // CND (15ml)
RRP - £14.95

When I saw this I side-eyed it a little because strengthening products aren't actually good for your nails. There is a fine balance between hydration and protein that you need to hit for optimum nail condition. Too much moisture and your nails will become too soft and malleable and will snap off when bent too far. However, too much protein will cause the nail to become hard and brittle and will snap off because it has no bend. The same thing happens with hair. This is advertised as for daily use however I would restrict usage of this to once a week. It is a nice formula though and contains Jojoba oil which is the best oil for your nails and cuticles. It's not too oily and is absorbed quickly. I'll be keeping this next to my mani kit to be used once a week as a treat.

Retinol Hand Mask // Skin Republic (18g)
RRP - £6.99 

I'm not sure where their RRP of £6.99 has come from as Skin Republic sell it for £5.99 on their own website. I've used a hand mask before and it was ok. I do like Skin Republic though so I'm expecting a little more than the last random brand that I used. I'll be saving this for when my hands are sore and dry though or a day spent out in the sun. My only issue with these is that they're not reusable and you'd need to use them at least twice a week to start seeing results and that's an expensive habit when you can buy some normal gloves and just slather on some hand cream.

Enchanted Heels // Nails Inc (14ml)
RRP - £15

Collection: Rainbow Hooves / I Believe In Unicorns
Release Date: 2017

Nails Inc Enchanted Heels Swatch // Mani & Lola May 2019

Nails Inc Enchanted Heels Swatch // Mani & Lola May 2019

Ok, I'm getting confused now. We had a polish from this set in the last box (mermaid playsuit) and that's quite an old shade but Nails Inc are shipping this 6-piece set which is actually called the Rainbow Hooves collection for £30 that includes both of them?? Either way if you like this shade I recommend buying the entire set from Nails Inc as you get 6 polishes for £30. Anyway, as there are only two nail polish shades in the box I would've preferred something a little different. This a sheer pink shimmer that will never truly achieve full opacity but fortunately it isn't a shifting polish. I've seen a lot of these pink shades that either have the blue or green shift so it's different in that respect.

The problem with these Nails Inc shimmers though is that they always dry with brush strokes and that's a pet peeve of mine. The shade is also super light and almost looks off-white on my skintone. Given that the other shade is also an off-white pink shade, it's a little boring.

Avojuice Lotion // OPI (250ml)
RRP - £19.95

OPI Avojuice Lotion Ginger Lily Hand & Body Lotion

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans, I've found it; the holy grail of hand creams. As I'm writing this I've already purchased another one and 2 more in 30ml sizes. I have no idea where Mani & Lola got their RRP price from as OPI UK sell the 250ml sizes for £9.95 but you can get them cheaper at NPD. This hand cream though; it's like walking around the desert for hours and then dipping your hands in cool refreshing water. It's beautiful. I normally hate ginger scents but this one is super sweet and tropical and the scent really lingers as well. I can't get enough of it. It comes in a variety of different scents from coconut & melon to vanilla & lavender as well as many more. They also do 30ml travel size versions for £2.25 which I think is very reasonable. Finding out I could buy this for £7.95 has made my year though.

Pink Nude // ORLY (18ml)
RRP £11.75

ORLY French Manicure Pink Nude Swatch // Mani & Lola May 2019

ORLY French Manicure Pink Nude Swatch // Mani & Lola May 2019

And the final product this month is what appears to be the exact same shade as Enchanted Heels but a creme formula. It is underwhelming to say the least. I've never really been a french manicure kind of person; I find them really boring. I'm not sure if you would use this shade for the tip though as it's too pigmented to be the sheer base but not pigmented enough to cover my actual tips. I'm trying to come up with something that I could use this for; a pink lace mani? If you're looking for a nice sheer off-white creme I guess this is it but I would've preferred an actual white polish. 

// Box Totals //
5 Items - All Full Size
Main & Lola RRP - £68.64
Actual Value - £43.95

// Verdict

I think at this point M&L are definitely inflating the RRP of items to make the box worth higher. I think it's a bit disingenuous. I pay £22.95 a month for my box and so I got an extra £20 worth of products this month. I still think it is a good box for that price; especially because I loved the hand cream this month but I found the sheer off-white shades to be too similar and frankly boring for spring. I would've preferred a nice pastel yellow and baby blue.

Overall, I'm not mad because this box did what it was supposed to; it introduced me to some new products and I've gone out and purchased those new products. It wasn't my favourite box though. Next month I hope they include some bright tropical looking shades like a pink, green, yellow and blue otherwise I'll be a little upset.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig