A Nail Art/Nail polish blog by a really nerdy software Engineer

Saturday 25 April 2020

SWATCHES: OPI // Mexico City 2020 Mini Collection

SWATCHES: OPI // Mexico City 2020 Mini Collection

OPI have released a new collection for spring 2020 full of bright pastel shades and I'm really late to the swatching party but I just wanted to paint my nails. I know bright and pastel don't really go together but the photos on OPI's website really do match that description:


I fell in love with the Coral-ing Your Spirit Animal shade because it's Peach...and I'm obsessed with Peach this year. NailPolishDirect had an offer on the mini set when I went to purchase it so I got that as well. When they arrived, I found that the shades are actually much darker than the photos and I'm a tad disappointed; especially with Mural Mural on the Wall. For example, on the bottle photo above Suzi's Slinging Mezcal looks like a shimmer pastel yellow; it's actually a dark gold metallic.

Let's get into some swatches. All are two coats with no top coat (unless states otherwise).

Coral-ing Your Spirit Animal // peach/coral creme

OPI Coral-ing Your Spirit Animal Swatch

OPI Coral-ing Your Spirit Animal Swatch

We'll start with my favourite shade. Even though it's darker than I was expecting, it's still a beautiful shade that is a cross between peach and coral. The first coat is very streaky and the second kind of does the trick if you don't look to closely but there are still brush strokes. I'd recommend three coats for it to be fully opaque. I wish more brands would do peaches in their spring collections.

Telenovela Me About It // rose pink shimmer jelly

OPI Telenovela Me About It Swatch

OPI Telenovela Me About It Swatch

When will OPI start putting names on their mini bottles?? It's so annoying. I have to keep everything in the boxes or create stickers. I almost thought this was a creme but then I saw the slight pink shimmer. What is it with OPI and putting pink shimmer in what could be just lovely creme polishes? I hated half the ones I got in their 2018 advent calendar because they all had this random bright pink shimmer in them. 

Formula-wise; it's not the greatest. Even though it's a sheer jelly it applies in a thick gloopy mess and it's quite difficult to get a nice even spread; you always end up disturbing other bits of the polish and leaving brush strokes. It is super shiny by itself but it's not my shade of pink; I prefer more muted ones. Two coats is still a bit streaky with this one.

Mural Mural On The Wall // coral jelly with gold flakies

OPI Mural Mural On The Wall Swatch

OPI Mural Mural On The Wall Swatch

I bought this mini set because I really wanted to see if this polish was worth buying full size and I'm disappointed to report that is it not worth buying. It's an interesting polish thanks to the flakes but it's just too dark for my liking and doesn't match my skin tone. It's a shame because you don't often see jelly flakies in mainstream polish brands.

This one is much easier to apply than the previous jelly and each coat is even with no brush strokes. There is also an even distribution of gold flakes which starts to look really nice when you build up the layers. It looks better in the sun so perhaps this is a polish to take on holiday with you....if we can ever go on holiday again...

Mexico City Move-Mint // pastel blue creme

OPI Mexico City Move-Mint Swatch

OPI Mexico City Move-Mint Swatch

Oh I do love me some pastel shades and this is no exception. This is very similar to Barry M's Berry Sorbet so there is your £3.99 dupe. The first coat is very streaky, the second coat kind of fixes it up, three is probably needed. The problem with this polish is that it dries very quickly and if your brush isn't loaded up it causes serious drag marks. Even though it's a nice polish it's deceptively tricky to apply. I'd say go for the Barry M one.

Suzi's Slinging Mezcal // gold foil

OPI Suzi's Slinging Mezcal Swatch

OPI Suzi's Slinging Mezcal Swatch

This one really surprised me (especially given how on the website it looks like a pastel yellow). I was unenthusiastic about it; I saw it and was like "not another gold shade" but then I put it on and I LOVE IT. Many have spoken about the brush strokes but if applied slowly and in thin layers they're not really that noticeable. I also love the formula; it applies like a dream. The shade itself is also on the cool side so it's not brassy. I normally hate gold polishes; I'm in shock.

// Verdict

There are 12 shades in the collection but I after swatching I don't feel the need to go out and buy them. I have a strange relationship with OPI as more often than not I really hate the formulas of their polishes. I heartily recommend Coral-ing Your Spirit Animal and maybe even Suzi's Slinging Mezcal now I've tried it but there are many similar shades from cheaper brands.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. These look okay. I did fancy the bold yellow, cannot remember the name! Uggg that is so damn annoying without names huh :-|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love the bold yellow! I would get it but I have so many other bold yellow shades. I'm really trying to be good in quarantine and not just buy all the polish lol.

      Delete

Blog Design Created by pipdig