A Nail Art/Nail polish blog by a really nerdy software Engineer

Thursday 7 February 2019

SWATCHES: China Glaze // OMG Flashback 2018 Collection

SWATCHES: China Glaze // OMG Flashback 2018 Collection

I had been eyeing up two mini China Glaze sets and decided not to buy them but then NailPolishDirect reduced them both by 30% so I thought "ok, yeah, just take my money." I was looking forward to this set but I'm a little disappointed. I'll start of with the OMG Flashback collection and then do another post for the Shades of Paradise.

This collection, released in June 2018, is a reproduction from 2008. And if the names of the shades are anything to go by (TTLY, BFF, DV8) perhaps they should've been left in 2008. The names remind me of this god awful song that I heard whilst at summer school way back in 2009. I'm from England but went to summer school in Boston whilst at college one year and that's when I was introduced to Kidz Bop and LOL by Sinai Rose; feast your eyes on these lyrics:
TFBS, FYI, BTW, ILY.

LAS wish you could BRT.

S double K, XOXO, GTG.
Lataz!
I'm lol at you.
Can't you read it?
You say WAM.
But I don't slow down.
IDB, no time to waste.
You say GKR, WGL.
I thought we were BFF's.
It's like reading a conversation between 2004 Paris Hilton and 2004 Nicole Richie. Oh man, the Simple Life...back then my life was so much easier. Can we just take a quick trip down memory lane to one of the greatest shows ever made?





Amazing. Anyway, let's review some nail polish shall we? All of these shades have a satin finish and a 'flame' effect down the center but A-England they are not. One major thing that bothers me is the dull spot created when the light hits the nail. Instead of creating holo, there's just this boring spot of colour and then the holo spreads out around it. It kind of looks like you missed a spot when painting. You also have to apply them in thin layers, otherwise the polish just spreads about leaving bald spots. 

Swatch conditions:-
- 1 LED Spotlight
- 2 Softboxes
- Indoors at night

SWATCHES: China Glaze // OMG Flashback 2018 Collection

OMG // Linear Holo


China Glaze OMG Swatch // OMG Flashback 2018 Collection


Not my favourite pure holo. I think Tinker Thinker Winker? by OPI is much better. I just don't like the silk finish, it dulls the holo down and putting a top coat on it just doesn't look quite right. I also experienced some cracking on my ring finger as that nail curves quite a bit when I put polish on it. 

DV8 // Aquamarine Holo
China Glaze DV8 Swatch // OMG Flashback 2018 Collection

This one is much better than OMG due to the pop of colour. This would be perfect for mermaid or ocean nails. I also found this much easier to apply as it's not as 'sticky' as OMG. I think it complements my skin tone nicely as well. The holo flame isn't quite as pronounced as but it still gives a nice shift effect.  In fact I've become a little obsessed with this shade after sticking a scattered holo on top. It's such an elevator Cristine look (can you hear the beeps now?).

2NITE // Periwinkle Holo
China Glaze 2NITE Swatch // OMG Flashback 2018 Collection

This one is nowhere near as stunning as DV8 and was much harder to apply as well; bunching together near the tips and dragging.

IDK // Iris Holo
China Glaze IDK Swatch // OMG Flashback 2018 Collection

I like how this one applies, it's almost good to go in one coat if applied carefully. The holo effect is really beautiful on this one as well, it's a lot stronger than the others.

BFF // Mulberry Holo
China Glaze BFF Swatch // OMG Flashback 2018 Collection

This is nice shade, I'm not sure which I love more, this or DV8. Although the holo flame isn't that strong, I feel the colour makes it stand out.

TTLY // Salmon Holo
China Glaze TTLY Swatch // OMG Flashback 2018 Collection

I found most of these shades to apply strangely on my main hand however when I paint my "other" hand I found it very hard to apply with it dragging and creating bald spots. This was definitely true for this shade which I did wear on my other hand for a few days. After two I began to dislike this shade as the holo flame only appears in certain light and most of the time it just looks dull and boring.

// Verdict
Overall, there's really only two shades that I would wear again; those being DV8 and BFF. The other four shades just seem a little lacklustre. I'm super glad I only bought this mini collection for £6.95 though instead of buying them all full size. If you love holo polishes though I'd say give this collection a miss and go buy some A-England instead. Or, go buy some of the new holo shades added to the Barry M Molten Metal collection as the holo flame is a lot stronger.


If you'd like to comparisons of both collections, you can check out these awesome swatches by Throwback Lacquer here.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig