A Nail Art/Nail polish blog by a really nerdy software Engineer

Thursday 12 November 2020

SWATCHES: Essie // Fall For NYC, But First Candy, Ooh La Lolly & Glowing Strong

SWATCHES: Essie // Fall For NYC, But First Candy, Ooh La Lolly & Glowing Strong

More swatches! This time from Essie. I'm not the biggest Essie fan so I tend to ignore them when I see them in TK Maxx but last time there were a few shades that I just couldn't resist throwing in the cart (as well as interesting formulas).

Fall For NYC // orange clay creme
Collection: Fall For NYC
Release: Fall 2018
Coats: 2

Essie Fall For NYC Swatch

I actually remember this collection being released and wanting specifically this shade along with Say It Aint Soho (an orange metallic) but Essie shades are £7.99 here and rarely on sale; the only times I do buy them are from TK Maxx, so I was very happy when this turned up in my local store for £2.99. This is one of those perfect autumn/winter shades. The formula itself is a little streaky and not that shiny but those issues are easily sorted out with a top coat (I just never wear one for swatches).

But First, Candy // dark green jelly
Collection: Glazed Days
Release: Summer 2019
Coats: 3

Essie But First, Candy Swatch

Where did this range come from? I had never even heard of it so I was surprised to find it only came out last summer. I have been looking for this exact shade though; a true green jelly, so I was very happy when I saw this and Ooh la lolly in TK.  I wanted them for layering effects however, they appear to be a bit too dark and this one is a little streaky. It also takes forever to dry but that's like most jellies. I stopped at three coats, where it just about lost its transparency and marvelled at the shiny gel-like surface. 

Ooh La Lolly // dark blue jelly
Collection: Glazed Days
Release: Summer 2019
Coats: 3

Essie ooh la lolly Swatch

This is more like the formula I was after; no streaks and builds up nicely but still keeps its transparency. This is going to be perfect for jelly sandwiches (I've already got one planned). Again, it takes a while to dry but I love sticking glitter between the layers for that plastic gel look. Really pleased I managed to get this for £3 as it would've cost me that much anyway after p&p for a jelly polish from born pretty/eBay.

60 Glowing Strong // peach/pink creme
Collection: Treat Love & Color
Release: Winter 2018
Coats: 3

Essie Treat Love & Color Glowing Strong Swatch

Of course I bought the peach/pink shade. For some reason I was expecting this to be a thick and gloopy creme but it's actually quite thin. It took me three coats to get the coverage I was happy with but it was easy to apply and dried relatively quick. This shade just makes me wish is was summer though...I miss the warm weather and being able to cycle without being battered by a 20mph wind.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I have seen these but gave them a miss. The jelly ones look really nice, I think my local had them all in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get back in TK Maxx again so I can try and get my hands on the other jelly shades. They're perfect for layered looks.

      Delete

Blog Design Created by pipdig