A Nail Art/Nail polish blog by a really nerdy software Engineer

Sunday 23 September 2018

First Try at Galaxy Nails + Welcome!

Galaxy Nail Design using Essie Starry Starry Night, Sinful Colours Nail Junkie & W7 Alanala and Breanna

Hey guys, welcome to my blog. I say guys, no one is reading this lol. There are literally millions upon millions of blogs on the internet and thousands get created every day and I'm just another figure bolstering that statistic. But you know what? It keeps my mind occupied.

I'm currently on the last year of my degree and I need to keep the pace going but I know if I stop, sit down and start watching netflix, I won't get back up again for 3 days, so that's where this blog comes in.

I used to like nail polish, I hoarded it quite a bit but never actually used it. My cuticle care was abysmal as well, but then, several months ago, Safiya Nygaard followed a tutorial by someone called Simply Nailogical. I went and watched that video and now I have consumed almost everything Cristine has done (in the least stalkery way possible...) Her channel and blog though really inspired something in me because I'm now obsessed (and I mean obsessed) with doing my nails. In the space of 4 months, my polish collection has grown from 100 bottles to 200 and it's growing exponentially. 

So, here is my first nail art post; my very first attempt at galaxy nails. I love space. Star Trek: Enterprise is my favourite TV show and ever since I was 5 I wanted to go to space. So, expect a lot more space-themed nails in the future.

Anyway, this particular galaxy design was inspired by when I layered Nail Junkie on top of Starry Starry Night when swatching. I loved the depth of the colours and the holo glitter chunks on top of each other and decided to try and expand it.

I started out with a black base coat (just 1 layer) and topped it off with one layer of Starry Starry Night. This in itself looks great:

 Essie Starry Starry Night

I then used a small brush to dab on Alanala & Breanna in a disc-like fashion (it didn't turn out the best but practice makes perfect!)

Galaxy Nail Design using Essie Starry Starry Night, Sinful Colours Nail Junkie & W7 Alanala and Breanna

Afterwards, I added one layer of Nail Junkie to add some holo sparkle and depth before drawing on a few stars with a white polish.  Last but not least was the glossy top coat to make it all shine.

Galaxy Nail Design using Essie Starry Starry Night, Sinful Colours Nail Junkie & W7 Alanala and Breanna

Galaxy Nail Design using Essie Starry Starry Night, Sinful Colours Nail Junkie & W7 Alanala and Breanna

I don't have a proper macro lens yet (it's one of the few lenses I don't have, go figure), so I'm currently using a 50mm lens (on my Nikon) and cropping in and then using a 24mm lens on my Canon (which has one of the most awful UI's in the world). Hopefully in the new year though I'll have saved up enough to purchase an 85mm macro lens.

Thanks for clicking and joining me on my polish journey!

Polishes Used:
- Essie // Ridge Filling Base Coat
- Essie // Licorice (black)
- Essie // Starry Starry Night (new formula) (deep translucent blue with sparkles)
- W7 // Alanala (blue with lilac/lavender shift)
- W7 // Breanna (pink with blue shift)
- Sinful Colours // Nail Junkie (translucent blue/teal with holo sparkles)
- Essie // Blanc (white)
- Essie // Platinum Grade Top Coat
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig